Seared Tuna Hand Rolls
With our Gulf of Maine bluefin tuna in hand, Hannah Cheng, co-founder of Mimi Cheng’s Dumplings in New York, created a DIY tuna hand roll for every level of home chef. Order our Bluefin tuna steaks, pick up a few other ingredients at your local grocery store or farmers market, and get your sushi fix from the comfort of your home.
Seared Tuna Ingredients:
- 1lb bluefin tuna steak
- Olive oil
- Togarashi seasoning, to taste
- Salt and pepper
Sushi Rice Ingredients:
- 3 cups raw sushi rice
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 c rice vinegar
- 2 tsp maldon salt
- 1 tsp of sugar
Hand Roll Assembly Ingredients:
- Seaweed sheets
- Furikake seasoning of choice
- Micro arugula or broccoli sprouts (or really any vegetable of choice. thinly sliced persian cucumbers, carrots, avocado would be nice too)
- Shiso leaves
- Soy sauce and wasabi, for dipping
Seared Tuna Instructions:
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the tuna pieces
- Season with salt, pepper, and togarashi, to taste.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add a little cooking oil.
- Sear tuna pieces on both sides. Center will still be pink.
- Move to a cutting board to slice thinly.
Sushi Rice Instructions (Hannah Cheng’s tried and true recipe. Do not skip a step or the rice will come out mushy and gummy):
- Soak 3 cups of rice in 4 cups of water for 15 minutes.
- Boil the rice. Once the rice boils, turn heat to low/medium and cook for 15 minutes.
- Take off the heat, let it sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice vinegar, maldon salt, and sugar mixture and mix it in well with a wooden spoon. (metal utensils will react with vinegar).
- Cover with lid again and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
Hand Roll Assembly Instructions:
- Layer on top of seaweed sheet: sushi rice, tuna slices, drizzle with soy sauce and wasabi mixture, shiso leaves, sprinkle furikake, and top with vegetables.
- Roll up into a cone shape and enjoy!