Samin Nosrat's Confit Tuna Sandwich
Adapted by Lauren Gibson, Vice President of E-Commerce
Confit Tuna Ingredients:
- 2 lb tuna steak
- 2 cups olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 dried red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tsp. black peppercorns
- 2 1-inch strips of lemon zest
Garlic Aioli Ingredients
- 4 tsp. lemon juice
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated with a pinch of salt
Confit Tuna Sandwich Ingredients:
- Confit tuna
- Garlic aioli
- Your favorite sandwich bread (we recommend Standard Baking Co. bread if you can get it)
- ¼ cup capers
- ¼ cup roughly chopped kalamata olives
- ½ cup chopped basil
- 1 sliced hard boiled egg (optional)
- Sliced cucumber (optional)
- Place the oil, garlic, red pepper, bay leaves, lemon zest, and peppercorns in a Dutch oven or deep, heavy saute pan. Heat the oil to about 180F.
- Cook for about 15 minutes to infuse oil with the aromatics.
- Add tuna to the warm oil, the tuna should be covered in oil. Add more oil if needed.
- Reheat oil until the fish starts to bubble slightly. Low and slow is the idea here.
- After about 15-20 minutes, remove tuna and check for doneness. The tuna should still be pink in the center.
- Place the cooked fish on a plate to cool. Strain the cooled oil into a jar and save for future use - great for salad dressings or marinades.
- Serve confit tuna at room temperature or chilled.
Garlic Aioli Instructions:
- Dissolve a pinch of salt in the lemon juice. Adjust salt to taste.
- Stir into mayonnaise.
- Add garlic.
- Cover and chill.
Confit Tuna Sandwich Instructions
- In a large bowl, combine confit tuna with garlic aioli, capers, olives, and basil. Gentle stir until tuna is fully coated in aioli.
- Spread tuna mixture over sandwich bread.
- Add hard boiled egg, sliced cucumber, and any other toppings you’d like. Cover with second slice of bread and enjoy!