Fennel-crusted Grilled Tuna
- 1 two lb. tuna steak, cut into four equal sized chunks
- 4 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 4 Tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. aleppo or silk chili flakes (or red pepper flakes)
- Vegetable or canola oil (for the grill
- Heat a small cast iron pan over medium low heat. When the pan is warm, add coriander and fennel seeds. Toast seeds, swirling pan frequently for an even toast, until the seeds are fragrant and lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush toasted seeds until they're the texture of coarse ground black pepper. Then add paprika, salt, pepper, and chili flakes and stir to combine.
- Pat tuna chunks dry with a paper towel. Then rub your spice mixture over every tuna surface, creating an even crust. Return crusted tuna to the fridge for one hour.
- Light your grill or arrange lit coals for direct heat. When grill grates are hot, ensure they're clean and then wipe them with oil by folding a few paper towels, oiling them, and then holding them with grill tongs to wipe your cooking area.
- Put your tuna on the grill directly over the flame. Allow each surface of the tuna to sear for 1 to 2 minutes until the surface is browned and grill marks appear. Once every surface is seared, remove from the grill.*
- After removing from the grill, let tuna steaks rest for 10 minutes. Then use your sharpest knife to slice the tuna against the grain into 1/4 inch slices. Serve immediately with grilled veggies, a salad, or your preferred side.
*Note, we like our tuna seared on the outside and raw in the middle. If you prefer yours cooked through, cut your tuna into four thinner slabs rather than fat chunks, and once the surfaces are seared, move tuna to a spot on the grill away from direct flame, cover, and let cook for 5-10 minutes until it reaches your desired level of doneness.